Advisor to the Iranian Foreign Minister: "Psycho-war is more dangerous than any sanctions" - Exclusive interview
Senior researcher at the Institute for Political and International Studies (IPIS), advisor to the Iranian Foreign Minister Seyed Rasoul Mousavi gave an exclusive interview to Vzglyad.az.
- Mr. Mousavi, the second package of US sanctions against Iran came into force last week. In your opinion, what is the true purpose of these sanctions?
- I think for answering this question it is necessary to clarify 2 points: a) There is no new sanction against Iran, in last four decades Iran has always suffered from U.S different sanctions. b) After JCPOA (Iran nuclear deal) American sanctions never lifted, only some of them partially soften and most of them remained even in Obama administration, and Mr. Trump from the first day of his presidency opposed the implementation of JCPOA.
Considering above two points, I can say that U.S has followed a fixed policy on Iran in last 40 years and I don't need to hide the name of this American policy which is Regime Change! Of course U.S officials deny it and say they want only change in the behavior of Iran in the regional and international relations, but I as an Iranian politologist which know the history of my country and never forget American coup at 1953 against Dr. Mossadeg, the nationalist prime minister of Iran, I believe that the core policy of U.S on Iran is Regime Change.
So the simple answer to your question about what is the true purpose of these sanctions, I say Regime Change.
- How did Iranian society respond to American sanctions? Some Western newspapers wrote that these sanctions provoked a wave of protests against the Iranian authorities. Is it so?
- I do agree about this reality that some western medias and non-professional analysts think economical pressure provoke the people to protest against their political system, and they can also present some facts about this thinking but if someone knows the real history of Iran in more than three thousand years he or she never finds even one case that Iranian under pressure cooperate with their enemy against their own regime. It is possible to find many different ideas among Iranian about their political system but when their regime suffered from outside all Iranian gather on their central power.
Here, I don’t want to disregard that Psycho-war is more dangerous than any sanctions and in this period of time all Iranian are suffering from it more than sanctions.
- How do US sanctions affect Iran?
- What is the second package? It happened on November 4 but now there is a saying about a third package after some month. I don’t want to say these sanctions have no impact on people, No, all Iranian especially ordinary people, patients, children and elders suffering too much from American sanctions but if we understand this fact that psycho-war comes sooner than real war, so let's wait and see how many package we will have?
Here I want to add this fact that Iran had experienced more sanctions than now. You know, before JCPOA Iran was under the sanctions of UNSC and at that time all major powers including Russia, China, UK, France, Germany and many other countries according to UNSC resolutions imposed tighten sanctions to Iran, but now we have JCPOA and UNSC Resolution 2231 which accepted Iran's peaceful nuclear activities and lifted all sanctions. About this fact which I mentioned, there is consensus between all countries except U.S, Israel and two or three Arabian states.
How can we say that the sanctions at this time are more harmful than UNSC sanctions? when we observe many activities by EU, Russia, China, Turkey and other countries to preserve JCPOA and find ways for cooperating with Iran, it is better to be optimistic for the future and be honest to international law and having faith to human wisdom and justice.
- How will the new sanctions affect Iran’s trade and economic relations with its neighbors, in particular with Azerbaijan?
- Neighbor is the gift of God! We have lived with our neighbors for many centuries and we will live with each other forever until the final day. So I think in this circumstance all Iran's neighboring countries are conscious about their responsibilities for our future relations. I am sure the people and the officials of Azerbaijan are following very skillful policy in this respect and try to have good neighboring policy with Iran, at the same time keep a good relation with U.S for national and regional interest of Azerbaijan.
- How is Iran going to circumvent US sanctions?
- It is the responsibility of the government of Iran to manage the situation. I think in this stage the government of Iran cannot explain what has been planned and how the sanctions will be bypassed. These are parts of Iran national secrets. If we talk about what we doing it means, we won’t be able to do anything.
Add Comments (0)